Monday, December 20, 2010

High Fructose Corn Syrup=Corn Sugar?

I just read that the Corn Refiners Association is attempting to petition the FDA to allow high fructose corn syrup to be labeled corn sugar. The consumption of high fructose corn syrup has dropped dramatically due to the numerous research studies released showing the ties between high fructose corn syrup consumption and obesity. The Corn Refiners Association would have us believe that consuming high fructose corn syrup is equivalent to consuming cane sugar. I beg to differ. This is a clever re-branding attempt, but consumers have to maintain their eyes wide open. If in doubt, leave it out. Do not add these dangerous genetically modified chemicals into your family's diet and if your family is consuming copious amounts of these chemicals, take the steps necessary to introduce healthier alternatives. I for one, do not touch high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, or preservatives. This is each individual's choice. But, it is important to read about what you are putting into your body, and most importantly, your children's bodies. Hyperactivity disorders in children have been linked to consumption of sodium benzoate (a preservative). And numerous other health issues have arisen since the 1970s when high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners first started gaining prevalence. I am not some ranting and raving hippie. I am simply interested in maintaining the highest level of health for myself and my family as possible. Reading food labels can be daunting at first, but it is completely worth your health. Life is too short to spend sick... Consume proper nutrition and allow your body to blossom into its potential. Now, I will remove myself from my soap box. More nutrition-based blogs to come. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment